I kind of feel like the majority of my day is spent between feeding kids and trying to get them to sleep. Both Lily and TJ don't do well without naps, but lately their imaginations have been really taking off and trying to get them to go to sleep in the same room seems to be getting more difficult.
So for the last 2 hours my little sweethearts have been "taking a nap". Every ten minutes or so I yell towards their room "Go to sleep, please!". They wait a few minutes and then I hear Lily say something like "A SPACE STORM!!!" And TJ responds with "LOOK OUT, A STAR!!" So I go into their room to put them back in their beds, and TJ says, "but a space storm". So I tell them to hide from the space storm under their blankets. They're super excited about that, and I go back to folding laundry. For 10 minutes or so anyway. And then I hear a bunch of giggling and screaming. Both of them are on Lily's bed with about a thousand toys. Lily looks up and says, "Sorry I made my bed a mess. It's just that...I wanted to mess it all up." Oh...that explains it then I guess. I put them back in bed, come back out to try and do something (anything). Have to go back in at least 4 more times. Around the 5th time, I go back to find TJ on Lily's bed. But it's not a bed, he informs me in his sweetest most innocent "I'm cute" voice, it's a boat. I tuck them both back in and ask them in my most convincing fake stern voice to go back to sleep. But I'm not good at being stern when I think something is cute. So a few minutes later TJ walks in with his shirt off to tell me something in his 2-year-old language that even I could not understand. So I followed him back to his room to find Lily hiding in a toy box (toys dumped out of course) also with her shirt off. I ask Lily why they took their shirts off. Something about their shirts getting too close to their heads. Right. Anyway one more time, back in bed. Then I hear a crash followed by some crying. TJ runs out to tell me Lily's crying. (So helpful). According to Lily, TJ pushed her into the closet.
So now I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I really have nowhere to be today, if naps take all day long it's not the end of the world. But I can tell they're really tired, and I don't want to give up yet, besides this time that they spend not actually napping is some of their best imaginary play time. And since they think they're supposed to be sleeping, they don't come out of their room too much to ask to watch a movie... Oh good, the crying has stopped and now I hear that we're back to a space storm. At this rate, maybe they'll be fast asleep when Tony gets home and he and I can take a nap too. After all, we were awake at 4:00am...then again at 5:00, then 6:00...my kids can't figure out that they should wait for the sun to come up before it's time to get out of bed. Sigh...all I know is it's going to be interesting when there's three of them.
Ok they're both in bed now. Or more specifically, they're both in Lily's bed (which is a boat again), and I put theLeapfrog Letter Factory movie on for them on our portable DVD player. Or in other words I give up. Two and a half hours is officially long enough to try for naps. Maybe if they sit still for more than 5 minutes they'll fall asleep anyway...or not. TJ just came to tell me something about Jacey's dress. Those are two of his favorite things to talk about lately, his friend Jacey and for some reason, dresses. Also, he wants cheese. Oh well. I guess we're back to food, and then (maybe) back to the laundry I guess. Um...did I mention I freaking love my life? Because I do.
OH Carly... I've had those days!! Too many of them!
ReplyDeleteAnd then I just gave up on naps entirely!... Which meant I HAD to do and a six o' clock bathtime, in bed by seven... asleep by 7:30...
Kid free for the rest of the night.
It was one of the best decisions of my life... :)
Good luck! I hope they take it easy on you!
Thanks! Ya my kids are totally in bed by 7:00 almost every night so I really can't complain. They still totally need naps though, especially TJ. He's a wreck if he doesn't nap at all and we have to put him down before 6:00...not super practical:)
ReplyDelete