Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My name is Carly, and I'm a Christian

I realize that this isn't my typical, "hey look, my kids are cute and I love them" kind of post, but I just feel a need to shout this at the top of my lungs right now.

Living in the south, I've never been so frustrated about what others have to say about this subject (whether or not I'm a Christian) than the last 6 years! I remember the first time I was ever introduced to the idea that other people claimed the right to say who is and who is not a Christian.  I remember it was like somebody stabbed me in the gut to suggest that because I am a Mormon I'm not a Christian.  How could anybody think I'm not Christian?  It makes me so sad to think that even one person might not know that I know and love my Savior, Jesus Christ, and that he lives.  And that I know that he atoned for my sins, and that following him is the reason for all of my happiness.  I recently read an article that I love which addresses this topic, by Daniel C. Peterson. This is the last few paragraphs from it and it is exactly what I've been feeling and trying to figure out how to say (especially the last line): 

"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints easily meet the definition of a Christian as implicitly defined in the New Testament: they believe that ancient prophets foretold Christ's coming, that Jesus Christ suffered for our transgressions, that he was put to death but rose from the dead, that through him we may obtain forgiveness of our sins, and that he will come again in glory.

"The doctrinal reasons some Christians give for excluding the Latter-day Saints from Christianity make little sense, because many of the doctrines used by traditional Christianity are late developments, reflective of creeds formulated in the fourth and fifth century or developed during the Reformation.

"Given the wide variety of beliefs among the various Christian churches, it is better to take persons claiming to be Christians at their word and to let the Lord be the judge."

(Emphasis added)  The link below leads to the full article, which addresses some of these reasons that some Christians use to try to exlude me from Christianity. (Yes, me.  I take it quite personally.)
 http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/transcripts/?id=93

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Carly, I agree with you fully. Having been born and raised in the south, it still came as a big surprise to me that the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) did not recognize nor allow members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to participate because in their opinion, we are not Christians! It is such an indicator of misinformation; something that can easily be cured by participating in the missionary discussions. Maybe it is time for folks to stop asking the "baker" for the inside scoop about "barbering" and just go to the source of all truth for accurate information.

    ReplyDelete